How should I prepare?
A common question that regularly comes up on the forum is "How can I prepare for MathCounts/AMC/ARML/AIME/USAMO?" This page is intended to answer these questions.
The Art of Problem Solving books are an excellent resource to help prepare for math contests. They cover a broad range of topics, from algebra to geometry to number theory to combinatorics and much much more.
- Art of Problem Solving Volume 1 - MathCounts, AMC 8, AMC 10, AMC 12
- Art of Problem Solving Volume 2 - AMC 10, AMC 12, AIME, USAMO
AoPS also has books broken down into specific areas. These books are on 3 levels, Introductory, Intermediate, and Advanced. The Advanced series, as well as part of the Intermediate series, has not yet been published. These books are indexed here. Excerpts are provided, as well as pretests and posttests to see if the books are on the right level for you.
- Introduction to Algebra - Mathcounts, AMC 8, AMC 10, AMC 12
- Introduction to Number Theory - Mathcounts, AMC 8, AMC 10, AMC 12
- Introduction to Geometry - Mathcounts, AMC 8, AMC 10, AMC 12
- Introduction to Counting & Probability - Mathcounts, AMC 8, AMC 10, AMC 12
- Intermediate Algebra - AMC 12, AIME, USAMO
- Intermediate Counting & Probability - AMC 12, AIME, USAMO