North Carolina MathCounts
North Carolina often fields a top 10 team at national MathCounts competitions. In recent years, Harold Reiter has organized practice sessions for the national teams from NC and SC at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
The top four students from the written round at the state competition are selected for the national team. The coach of the winning school team is offered the opportunity to coach the state team at the national competition.
National Team Awards and Placement
- 2007 8th
- 2006 9th
- 2005 10th
- 2003 5th
- 1998 5th
- 1989 1st
NC State Team Champions
- 2007 - Arendell Parrott Academy, Kinston
- 2006 - Martin Middle School, Raleigh
- 2005 - Hanes Middle School, Winston-Salem
- 2004 - Ligon Middle School, Raleigh
- 2003 - Guy B. Phillips Middle School, Chapel Hill
- 2002 - Martin Middle School, Raleigh
- 2001 - Ligon Middle School, Raleigh
- 2000 - Durham School of Arts, Durham
- 1999 - Martin Middle School, Raleigh
- 1998 - Charlotte Latin, Charlotte
- 1987 - Charlotte Latin, Charlotte
NC State Team Members (top 57 placement)
- 2007 - Jenny Chen (35), Gray Symon (37), Brendan Fletcher (44), David Lucia, Coach: Tonya McLawhorn
- 2006 - Eric "Pom" McCabe (22), Brendan Fletcher, Gray Symon (48), Akash Ganapathi, Coach: Linda Harvel (Southern Middle)
- 2005 - Eric "Pom" McCabe (13), John Berman (45), Bryce Taylor, Kevin Lang, Coach: Greg Taylor
- 2004 - Ray Wang (44), Vivek Bhattacharya, Matthew Adams, Kevin Lang, Coach: Cathy Whelan
- 2003 - Mikhail Lavrov (16), Michael Lin, Vivek Bhattacharya, ? (6) Coach: Marla McCrea
- 2002 - Misha Lavrov, Chris Hoersting, Sunny Xi, Amy Wen, Coach: Jeanette Rojeski
- 2001 - Jeremy Diepenbrock, Jeff Tang, Paul Huang, Sunny Xi, Coach: Pat Heald
- 2000 - John Shoun, Larry Wise, Charles Yu, Justin Lo, Coach: Robin Barbour
- 1999 - Morgan Brown, Edward Su, Jonathan Campbell, Don Swartz, Coach: Lucy Kay
- 1998 - Anders Kaseorg (17), Paul Wrayno, Eric Sundstrom (38), Chris Goulette, Coach: Caroline Wolfe
- 1997 - Anders Kaseorg,?,?,?
- 1989 - Lenny Ng (1),?,?,?
- 1987 - Ashley Reiter (3),?,?,?, Coach: Caroline Wolfe
- 1986 - Jeff VanderKam (2),?,?,?