These Physics books are recommended by Art of Problem Solving administrators and members of the <url>index.php AoPS-MathLinks Community</url>.
Before adding any books to this page, please review the AoPSWiki:Linking books page.
Books by subject
Astrophysics and Cosmology
- Chaos: Making a New Science by James Gleick
- Conceptual Physics by Paul Hewitt
- Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca
Advanced Textbooks (with calculus, useful for USAPhO, IPhO, and advanced study)
- Physics by Halliday, Resnick, and Krane (not to be confused with "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker)
- Introduction to Classical Mechanics by David Morin
- Electricity and Magnetism by Purcell and Morin
- The Feynman Lectures on Physics by Feynman
Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, Particle Physics
- Dreams of a Final Theory by Weinberg
- The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory by Brian Greene.
- The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality by Brian Greene.
- Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions by Lisa Randall.
- General Relativity from A to B by Geroch
- Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler
- Quantum Mechanics in Simple Matrix Form by Jordan
- Modern Physics by Krane
Books of Problems
- Thinking Physics by Lewis Carroll Epstein (a book of conceptual problems for beginners and intermediate-levels)
- Problems and Solutions in Introductory Mechanics by David Morin (A good book for preparing to the F=ma exam and for practicing basic mechanics)
- 200 Puzzling Physics Problems by Gnadig (USAPhO / IPhO level problems)
- 300 Creative Physics Problems with Solutions by Holics (USAPhO / IPhO level problems)
- Physics to a Degree by Thomas and Raine (USAPhO / IPhO level problems)
- Thinking Like a Physicist by Thompson (USAPhO / IPhO level problems)
- A Brief History of Time by Steven Hawking
- The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes
- 'Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!' (Adventures of a Curious Character) by Richard P. Feynman, et al.
- The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe by Roger Penrose.