Regeneron Science Talent Search
The Regeneron Science Talent Search, or simply the STS, is the USA's oldest science competition, begun in 1942, with a top prize of a $250,000 scholarship.
Approximately 1700 American high school seniors enter Regeneron STS annually with self-created projects on various sciences. 300 semifinalists are selected, and then 40 finalists.
The prizes for the finalists are:
- A chance to interact with famous modern scientists.
- A trip to Washington, D.C.
- A new laptop computer with an Intel card.
- $5,000 from the Intel Foundation.
- A chance to display research at the National Academy of Sciences.
- An opportunity to meet with government officials.
The first place winner of STS is awarded a $100,000 four-year scholarship. The second place winner receives $75,000, and the third place winner $50,000. The fourth through sixth place winners each receive $25,000. The seventh through tenth place winners each receive $20,000.
This contest was known as the Intel Science Talent Search (Intel STS) from 1998 through 2016.