Massachusetts mathematics competitions
Elementary School Level Math Competitions:
- Winchester Math Competition (WinMaC) is a competition for fourth and fifth graders hosted by Winchester High school. With both individual and team rounds, this competitors usually organize outside of school. website
Middle School Level Math Competitions
- Massachusetts MathCounts is part of the national MathCounts competition. This competition has individual and team rounds, where teams are usually organized in school. However, if a school has not signed up a team, students can compete individually. This competition is organized in a sprint-target-countdown-team format, where sprint round is a test of speed, target is a test of accuracy, countdown is a math-bowl style round, and team is a team round. This test is taken over the course of a day
- Intermediate Math League of Eastern Massachusetts (IMLEM) This competition has individual and team rounds, and teams are organized in school. This competition has five rounds, mystery (misc), geometry, number theory, arithmetic, algebra, and team. Each scoring competitor competes in three individual rounds and the team round. There are usually five meets per academic year. For more information and old tests, go to their website.
- Lexington Math Tournament (LMT) is a competition hosted by Lexington High school. This competition only has team rounds, and teams are usually organized outside of school. Its current, online format includes a team round which teams have a week to complete, and a guts round where questions are given out in sets of three, and teams have to complete as many sets as possible in 75 minutes. This is usually a biannual test, with a spring and fall test. For more information and old tests, go to their website.
- Acton Boxborough Math Competition (ABMC) is a competition hosted by Acton Boxbourough Regional High School. This competition has individual and team rounds, and teams are usually organized outside of school. This competition has sprint, accuracy, and team rounds, and takes place over the course of a day. For more information and old tests, go to their website.
High School Level Math Competitions
- Greater Boston Mathematics League (GBML) website
- Harvard-MIT Mathematics Tournament -- Each year, students from all over the country visit either MIT or Harvard to participate in a contest administered by veterans of math competitions attending the two schools. website
- Massachusetts Association of Mathematics Leagues (MAML) website
- Massachusetts Mathematics League (MML) website
- Massachusetts Mathematics Olympiad website
- Southeastern Massachusetts Mathematics League
- Southern Massachusetts Mathematics League
- Western Massachusetts Mathematics League
- Worcester County Mathematics League (WOCOMAL) website
- WPI Invitational Mathematics Meet website
- Archive of WOCOMAL, MML, MAML, NEAML, and Massachusetts Math Olympiads
National math contests
- List of United States elementary school mathematics competitions for national contests.
- List of United States middle school mathematics competitions for national contests.
- List of United States high school mathematics competitions for national contests.