The American Mathematics Contest 10 (AMC 10), along with the AMC 12, is one of the first exams in the series of exams used to challenge bright students, grades 10 and below, on the path towards choosing the team that represents the United States at the International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO).
High scoring AMC 10 and AMC 12 students are invited to take the American Invitational Mathematics Examination (AIME).
The AMC 12 used to be the American High School Mathematics Examination from 1950 to 1999.
|Type: Multiple Choice|
Problem 1-5: 1
The AMC 10 is a 25 question, 75 minute multiple choice test. Problems generally increase in difficulty as the exam progresses. Calculators were permitted on old AMC tests; however, as of 2008 and later, calculators are not permitted for use.
The AMC 10 is scored in a way that penalizes guesses. Correct answers are worth 6 points, incorrect questions are worth 0 points, and unanswered questions are worth 1.5 points, to give a total score out of 150 points. From 2002 to 2006, unanswered questions were awarded 2.5 points. In 2006 and 2007, unanswered questions were awarded 2 points. Students that are in the top 2.5% of the AMC 10 contest are invited to take the AIME.
The AMC 10 tests mathematical problem solving with arithmetic, algebra, counting, geometry, number theory, and probability and other secondary school math topics. Problems are designed to be solved by students without any background in calculus or trigonometry.
- AMC homepage, their AMC 10 page, and practice problems
- Contest and Programs Forum for discussion of the AMC and problems from AMC exams, and any other competition.
- Past AMC 10 exams.
- Problem and solution books for past AMC exams.
- Introduction to Algebra by Richard Rusczyk.
- Introduction to Counting & Probability by Dr. David Patrick.
- Introduction to Geometry by Richard Rusczyk.
- Introduction to Number Theory by Mathew Crawford.
- The Art of Problem Solving Volume 1 by Sandor Lehoczky and Richard Rusczyk.
- The Art of Problem Solving Volume 2 by Richard Rusczyk and Sandor Lehoczky.
- ACE The AMC 10 and 12 book (free) by Ritvik Rustagi
AMC Preparation Classes
These should be taken if a student is having trouble or wants a more clear and confirmed understanding of concepts.
- AoPS hosts an online school teaching introductory classes in topics covered by the AMC 10 as well as an AMC 10 preparation class.
- AoPS holds many free Math Jams, some of which are devoted to discussing problems on the AMC 10 and AMC 12. Math Jam Schedule
- EPGY offers an AMC 10 preparation class.