It is possible to construct a regular pentagon with compass and straightedge:
- Draw circle (red).
- Draw diameter and construct a perpendicular radius through .
- Construct the midpoint of , and label it .
- Draw (green).
- Construct the angle bisector of , and label its intersection with as (pink).
- Construct a perpendicular to at .
- Adjust your compass to length , and mark off points , and on circle .
- is a regular pentagon.
The Golden Ratio
The pentagon is closely associated with the Golden Ratio. More specifically, the ratio of a diagonal to an edge is .
This article is a stub. Help us out by.