List of Canada mathematics competitions
The Canadian Mathematical Society holds math competitions in Canada, including:
- Canadian Open Mathematics Challenge (COMC)
- Canadian Repêchage Competition (CMOQR)
- Canadian Mathematical Olympiad (CMO)
- Asian Pacific Mathematics Olympiad (APMO) aims to encourage and challenge mathematically gifted children in all Pacific-Rim countries. Each year the Canadian Mathematical Society invites 20-30 students to write the APMO based on their results in other national and international competitions.
The University of Waterloo Centre for Education in Mathematics and Computing (CEMC) offers math and computer science competitions for students in grades 7-12.
- CEMC Gauss (Grade 7)
- CEMC Gauss (Grade 8)
- CEMC Pascal (Grade 9)
- CEMC Cayley (Grade 10)
- CEMC Fermat (Grade 11)
- CEMC Fryer (Grade 9)
- CEMC Galois (Grade 10)
- CEMC Hypatia (Grade 11)
- CEMC Euclid (Grade 12)
- CEMC Intermediate Competition (Grade 10 or lower)
- CEMC Senior Competition (Grade 10 or lower)
- CEMC Team Competition (6 secondary students)
- CEMC Canadian Computing Competition
- CEMC Beaver Computing Challenge
The International Mathematics Tournament of the Towns is a mathematical competition that doesn't require special knowledge or highly developed technical skills but require an imagination and fresh ideas. It is held in Canada in Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, and Windsor.
The Mathematica competitions are held by the Mathematics Contest Centre, for students in grade 3-9.
Online Mathematics Competitions
The Caribou Cup, run by Caribou Contests, is a yearly series of six international online math contests for students in grades 2-12 from all types of schools, including homeschoolers. Contests are accessible worldwide for students and are provided in English, French, Persian, and Mandarin. Most of the questions are multiple choice. with the exception of interactive games questions. Top scoring students and schools receive prizes amounting to 1500 CAD total. The first October contest is free for all levels, and the grade 2 level is free all year. Previous contest questions and solutions are available on the contest website.
The Purple Comet! Math Meet is a free, on-line, international, team mathematics competition designed for middle and high school students conducted annually since 2003.
Foreign Competitions that allow Canadian Participation
The American Mathematics Competition (AMC) has 3 levels:
- AMC 8
- AMC 10
- AMC 12
depending on a students grade in school
The Alberta High School Mathematics Competition is an annual mathematics competition for high school students in Alberta.
The Association Mathématique du Québec offers competitions for secondary school students and for CÉGEP students.