The AMC 8 is an exam for students in grades 8 and below, administered annually by the American Mathematics Competitions (AMC) to students all over the United States.
High scoring AMC 8 students are invited to take the more challengeing AMC 10 exam.
The AMC 8 is administered by the American Mathematics Competitions (AMC). Art of Problem Solving (AoPS) is a proud sponsor of the AMC. The test is intended to foster interest in mathematics and also to help middle school students learn mathematical problem solving.
The AMC 8 is a 25 question, 40 minute multiple choice test. Problems generally increase in difficulty as the exam progresses. Through 2007, calculators were permitted, but they will not be in the future. Unlike the AMC 10 and 12, no points are deducted for wrong answers.
- Introduction to Counting & Probability by Dr. David Patrick. Information
- Introduction to Geometry by Richard Rusczyk. Information
- The Art of Problem Solving Volume I by Sandor Lehoczky and Richard Rusczyk. Information.
- Art of Problem Solving offers many helpful online classes on topics covered by the AMC 8.
- AoPS holds many free Math Jams, some of which include problems and concepts at the level tested by the AMC 8. Math Jam Schedule
- EPGY offers some contest preparation classes.